Our plan: move the Mayo House and restore 234 NE Sacramento to a cornerstone property for the Black community, creating a place of memory, research, advancement and art.
The Mayo House, located at 206 NE Sacramento St, was built in 1895. The Queen Anne Vernacular style house was built by Martin N. Mayo near the intersection of NE Sacramento and M L King Jr Blvd. It was moved twice during the earlier part of the 20th Century and is ranked on the Historic Resource Inventory and contributes to the Eliot Conservation District. It is eligible for listing in the National Register of Historic Places as a rare example of a Queen Anne design in the Eliot neighborhood. The house is primarily significant for architectural history. It features a roof of intersecting gables, curvilinear porch with turned posts, jigsaw ornament, spindle work, and decorative bargeboards. The house retains a high degree of physical integrity, both the exterior and interior, from the historic period.
The 7-unit apartment building formerly located at 234 NE Sacramento, purchased in 1982 by Julia Davis Williams, was listed in the Architectural Heritage Center’s 1998 publication “Cornerstones of Community: Buildings of Portland’s African American History.” It was demolished in 1984 as the result of City policies addressing “blight,” which targeted numerous Black-owned properties in the Albina area.
We’re moving a house. And creating a cornerstone.